Monday, July 27, 2009

Vin de Noix - Without a little bit of work, there is no pleasure!


I am so excited about our newest ranch project! Our first commercial bottling of Clary Ridge Ranch Vin de Noix. Our very own Franquette walnuts are used in the creation of this hand crafted aperitif that originated among the walnut orchards in the southwest of France. On June 16th, my brother Paul and I spent the day hand cutting nearly 2000 green walnuts to prepare them for the first part of the process. Read my brothers blog, Wine Growing on the Edge for an excellent description of the process. It took hours for us to carefully quarter each nut without losing much of the yellow-green juice that oozes out of each one as it was quartered with a sharp knife. The fingernails on my left hand are still stained light brown. It reminds me of my childhood. Brown knees lasted a long time after harvesting walnuts in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment