Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ready or Noix

This is the first year that I haven't personally stirred, checked, monitored, shaken, my entire batch of vin de noix. I do have a mini batch macerating on my counter at the cabin. (Thank goodness for air conditioning!) Also some deliciously spicy nocino turning a lovely motor oil-ish color. Soon it is time to connect with the winery where our 2000 green walnuts are steeping in a lovely Cabernet Sauvignon from Mendocino on it's journey to becoming Vin De Noix. Time to attend to the next part of the process. It will be time to remove the walnuts, filter and fortify. My brother, Paul Clary, is my guide on this journey. He is an accomplished winemaker who owns Clary Ranch Wines We will bottle in a 375 ml Antique green bottle. Karen Bertolini, of Paragon Labels, went to high school with me. She suggested taller rather than wide, so that the info all shows when you see the bottle on the shelf. She also suggested that I take a look at port bottles at BevMo for label inspiration. I saw a couple of appealing labels. The internet has more images than BevMo. I like the shape of this label from France. I have had to actively turn off that compulsive section of my brain that spent countless hours drawing and erasing. My brother-in-law, David Macy, is an artist and I will leave that to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment